Semi-custom Invitations FAQ
- Client: as identified by invoice, or order processed through the website.
- Artist/Studio: Written Word Calligraphy and Design, Inc.
- Project: Semi-Custom Invitation Orders
- Product: Wax Seals, Prints, etc.
How does the Semi-Custom Process work?
Visit our Semi Custom Collection and choose the collection you want to order from. Add the products in the quantities, type of paper and the printing method that you wish to use. Add any add-on’s to the cart, such as ribbons, calligraphy addressing, postage.
Once the order is submitted, a form will be sent to you within a 3-5 business days to fill out for the details required for the invitation. Once the content is approved and reviewed, the design process will start. A digital proof of the design will be provided within 10 business days after all the content has been collected and confirmed. One revision round is included after the digital proof, which includes minor text and layout changes (see details below in the Terms and Conditions). If more changes are required, the price is $200 per design for text changes, and additional changes will be quoted accordingly. Once approved, the items are sent to the printer. Once sent to the printer, any changes would incur additional charges. Print production takes about 3-4 weeks upon approval, plus shipping. Production increases by 1-2 weeks if handmade paper, addressing, accessories and assembly are involved, and if quantities are higher than 125 pieces.
What are the options that I can choose for the Semi-Custom Suite?
- Collection: Each collection is different from each other. Choose that best reflects your wedding style
- Quantity: The minimum order of the Semi-Custom Invitations is 25. If your wedding will require less than 25 invitations, unfortunately we are unable to reduce these. If you require more than 250 invitations, please send us a note via the contact form so that we can provide you with a quote.
- Type of Paper: There are 3 types of paper that is available for printing. The 100lb cardstock paper is the only paper we print for digital printing. If you require thicker paper, there is an upgrade available for thicker paper, please contact us for more information. The 220lb cotton paper is used for letterpress and foil printing. The handmade paper requires letterpress and foil printing, and varies from paper to paper. Handmade paper in particular is dependent on the manufacturer, they may change the quality at their own discretion.
- Type of Printing: There are 3 types of printing that is available with the Semi-Custom Suites. Digital printing is a high quality inkjet printing on the 100lb cardstock. Letterpress printing uses a die to impress onto the paper to create the texture, and uses ink, therefore it’s best for non-metallic colors. Foil printing uses a die, just like letterpress, but uses foil, therefore it’s best for metallic colors.
- Printing Color Choices: There are select colors for printing, available in this link here. If gold and copper are chosen, but foil printing was not chosen, then the flat color version of gold and copper will be used and will not have a metallic look.
- Envelope Color Choices: There are select colors for envelopes, available in this link here. If handmade paper is chosen, then the envelopes will also be handmade.
- Calligraphy Choices: There are 6 calligraphy styles. You can select one on the link here.
- Font Choices: In each suite, you can select the font to be serif or sans serif. Serif fonts are classic and elegant fonts that have serifs, such as Times New Roman, Garamond, etc. Sans-serif fonts are more modern and do not have serifs, such as Arial, Calibri, etc.
- Monogram (Opulent and Heirloom only): These two suites will allow you to select different monograms and will also change the design slightly depending on which monogram you choose. For example, if an Olive Branch monogram was selected, then the rest of the suite will feature olive branches. The Potpourri Suite also has a monogram, but it is set on the floral version. You will be allowed to choose the letters for the monogram inside the crests.
What is the currency that the items are in your shop?
The items are in USD.
I need to order more invitations than I initially ordered. What do I do?
Please send us an email right away regarding your order. Additional orders will incur additional setup costs and shipping if the invitations from the initial order have already been printed and/or shipped. Client agrees that the quantity provided at the order is priced accordingly and any additions to the quantity prior to printing will incur additional costs including but not limited to costs per unit, shipping, and printing setup costs. After the project has been sent to print, the client agrees to pay additional shipping, printing and setup costs required for additional units.
I need to order less invitations than I initially ordered. Can I still change it?
Unfortunately, we cannot reduce the quantity of the invitations once ordered. Please make sure that you order the right amount of invitations before you submit the payment for them.
I want to customize certain parts of the Semi-Custom suite. Is that possible?
Yes, that is possible. Please send us a message via the Contact Form with specifications of your customization so that we can email you back with a quote.
How does the shipping work?
Shipping will be charged to you once the items are ready to ship. For international orders, DHL or UPS will be used for shipping. DHL does only express shipping, but you will receive the invitations within 1-3 business days. UPS ground can take longer, around 7-10 business days but can be more economical depending on the weight of the package. Written Word Calligraphy is not liable for lost, damaged or delayed shipments.
What is the status of my Semi Custom Wedding Invitations?
Please send us an email via the contact form if you have not received an email from us for more than 5 business days.
What is your return/exchange/cancellation policy for Semi Custom Wedding Invitations?
Cancellation fees are due based on the amount of work completed. The client agrees to accept Artist’s good faith estimation of how much work as been completed. In general, “Design work” comprises of 50% of the invoice, and “Printing work” comprises of 50% of the invoice. The entire order invoice is refundable only when the project is not yet processed, before the “content required” status has taken place. Once the artist has sent the content form to be filled out, 10% of the entire invoice is no longer refundable. Once the artist has received the content form back from the client, 20% of the entire invoice is no longer refundable. Once the artist has begun the design work, whether or not the first design proof has been sent, whether or not there has been any revision rounds, 50% of the entire invoice is no longer refundable. Once the artwork has been approved and the items are sent to print, 100% of the entire invoice is no longer refundable. The artist is not responsible for incorrect text that has been approved for print by the client. Once the project has been printed and assembled, 100% of the entire invoice is no longer refundable. Once the project leave the artist’s studio for shipping, the artist is not responsible for any loss, delay, or damage to the product. The client is responsible for all shipping, custom and duties fees. Shipping charges will be charged once items are shipped. For international clients, the full value of the project would be declared in accordance with the law. The client will need to inform the artist if they want to purchase shipping insurance. By default, this is not included. Due to the handmade nature of our projects, our projects are not eligible for return, exchange or refund. If it is determined that there is an error on the artist side, due to printing, depending on the schedule the artist will pay for reprint and the shipping costs, or will provide a refund based on the amount of work that needs to be reprinted. Client agrees to accept the artist’s good faith estimation on how much will need to be refunded. If is determined that there is an error on the artist side due to handwritten portions, depending on the schedule, the artist will rewrite the work and pay for shipping costs, or will provide a refund based on the amount of work that needs to be reprinted. Again, the client agrees to accept the artist’s good faith estimation on how much will need to be refunded.
For handmade paper invitations, handmade paper may vary in various elements upon manufacturer's discretion and is considered part of the paper's character. Thus, artist cannot guarantee the color, look, texture, and size from the sample the client has purchased.
I received envelopes with the addresses incorrectly handwritten. What do I do?
If it is Written Word’s mistake, we will re-write and ship it for free depending on our availability. If we are for any reason unable to do so, we will refund the charge for envelope addressing for the number that was incorrect. But if it is the client’s fault, the regular envelope calligraphy charges will be charged plus the shipping.
Can I request to expedite the order processing for Semi-Custom Invitations?
Yes, you can. Depending on your estimated due date, we will let you know if your desired date is possible or not. If yes, then we will charge a rush fee depending on how close the estimate due date is.
Client agrees that there are costs associated with rushing projects to completion. Client will need to inform the artist, and the artist will need to approve the rush based on the schedule of the artist and the printer. Rush fees may vary from 25-50%, depending on how soon the projects need to be completed. The artist will inform the client, and with the client approval, proceed with rushing orders.
Are your invitations available to ship anywhere in the world?
Yes, they are, as long as DHL or UPS would ship to them.
Who owns the designs once produced?
Karla Lim and Written Word Calligraphy retain rights to the designs that they create. If you would like to get exclusive rights to the designs, please inform us and we will provide you with an appropriate quote. We also retain the rights to post your invitations and wedding paper on social media. If there is an issue with posting your invitations and wedding paper on social media, please let us know beforehand.
I want to get completely customized invitations. Is that possible?
Yes, that is possible. Please send us a message via the Contact Form with as much detail as possible so that we can correspond about them. Custom Invitations require a phone call or Skype conversation for us to discuss in detail the design that you are looking for. Custom invitations can take at least 3-5 weeks longer than Semi-Custom Invitations, and can cost at least 30-40% more, depending on the materials. Custom Invitations include up to 3 design rounds of invitations, where the first round has the most number of designs, and we refine the designs until we arrive at our perfected wedding invitation customized for your wedding.
What is your return/exchange/cancellation policy for wax seals and other Written Word Products?
Upon ordering products from the website, the items will be shipped within 3-7 business days unless otherwise stated on the top of the website, for studio closures. Once the items leave the studio, the artist is not liable for lost, delayed, or damaged shipments. Unused and unopened orders may be returned within 10 days of receipt for a refund. Once we receive the returned products, the charges will be credited to your original method of payment excluding shipping costs, which are non-refundable. Used, opened, and/or final sale or items with coupon codes cannot be returned. Please note this only applies to Written Word Calligraphy products, and not to semi-custom or custom wedding invitations.
How does the shipping work?
For products coming from our shop, our products are shipped via USPS from US for regular shipping for all orders, from US, Canada and international orders. Customs/duties/taxes may be charged to customers at the discretion of the border officials, and this is beyond our control.
Are your products available to ship anywhere in the world?
Yes, they are, as long as USPS would ship to them.
What is the currency that the items are in your shop?
The items are in USD.